Monday, January 11, 2010

A Busy Cubed Is A Happy Cubed

I can honestly say that I have had one of the most fulfilling weekends that I have recently experienced. And I really didn't do anything special or even leave the house, except to run to Starbucks this evening. What I did do was have the right mix of activity, relaxation, and intimate time with my husband.

On the activity side....at the end of the weekend I have one perfectly fitted Audrey Heprburn sheath that I will now use as a template to create one perfectly fitted Audrey Hepburn gown. The Pretty In Pink dress has been totally re-worked so that it barely resembles the pattern it started from. It no longer looks like something Barbie threw up and now looks like a princess dress. We are now calling it the Charlotte dress from The Princess and The Frog and are scheduling an appointment for a blonde job and thinking of a tiara. On the homefront, despite all the haute couture in the house, I managed to keep the house picked up, cook three amazing dinner meals, and complete ALL the laundry so we are starting the week fairly stress-free. Praise to my husband and daughter; they helped with dishes, picked up after themselves, and did the grocery shopping.

For relaxation, I managed to watch two movies that I have had from Netflix for 3 months! Three months! I have NOT been intentional about in that area of my life, have I? Frost/Nixon and Milk were both thought provoking and dealt with serious isuuses, but I enjoyed taking the time to watch them. I also enjoyed sleeping in until 10AM each morning.... easier to be productive when I am well rested.

As for intimate time....well my husband and I took a late Saturday afternoon "nap" and stayed up quite late Saturday evening to "talk about birthday presents". All I will say is that they were both very productive and satisfying. :) Also, we ended up eating dinner alone on both Saturday and Sunday evening. I can't decide if they were to mini-dates or practice for being empty-nesters. It was nice to have the time to talk without teens at the table but it did prompt some serious discussion regarding how we will deal with life after our daughter graduates high school this year. I think I am feeling the potential loss less than my husband at this point but we did have constructive conversation about activities and things we hope to do in the near future.

And what can I glean from all of this? A busy Cubed is a happy Cubed. I feel more in control and more productive if the house is neat and well-organized. Note....I did not say "clean"....just being neat is enough on a weekend with so much going on. Having a stimulating and creative project makes me happy and leaves me with a good sense of accomplishment. My husband is a great provider and a willing helper, but it's important to make him feel like he is the top priority for some of each day. Take some time each day for rest, refelection, and relaxing. This weekend makes a good template for how to live my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment