Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Today Was Nothing and Everything

Today was Epiphany.....but no epiphany moments here.....just the continual gradual realization that I am happiest when I am busiest.

Started off the day with a Rosca de Reyes, a King's cake, and coffee. A little fondling and some passionate kisses with my husband before I had to run off for a day of cooking. Toting along my new Gourmet Cookbook, as well as half my kitchen, I headed for church where I prepare a budget lunch for about 60 seniors. Today's menu: Apricot Almond Glazed Chicken Breast, Rice Pilaf, salad of Baby Greens/thinly sliced red onion/dried cranberries/mandarin oranges/mushrooms and champagne vinaigrette, Hawaiian King rolls, and Applesauce Pecan cake. A winner.

Before all the lunch dishes were washed I began dinner for all ages at our Wednesday evening program. Tonight's menu: Pork Loin chops braised in Orange and Soy, Smashed Red Potatoes with Roasted Garlic, Same salad from lunch but with the addition of leftover toasted almonds, buttered french bread, and Red Velvet or Spice cupcakes with Cream Cheese frosting. Also delicious.

Clean up, pack it all up, drive home, unpack, put it all away, put on my jammies, unwind!

What did I learn today? I feel more fulfilled when I have had a productive day. My body feels better when I have been physically active all day. I am gratified by serving others. I love to cook. And eat. And talk to many different people throughout the day. I still wish I came home to a house cleaned by a maid. My husband is thoughtful and made our bed with all the pillows in the right spots after I left this morning. He understands how I like to come home to a clean house. My daughter is still a mercurial teenager and she had total attitude meltdown on me this afternoon in front of others less than 24 hours after I had written such nice things about her. And an hour later was eating dinner with me in the kitchen as sweet and loving as she could be. And my mom has a generous spirit and shows up to help me cook, even when it isn't even her church.

Today was nothing special, no big aha moments, but it was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment